Deanna and Justin In The Morning

5:30am - 10:00am

A cat sprawls on the telephone directory with a receiver in its paws, circa 1960. (Photo by Susan Schiff Faludi/Three Lions/Hulton Archive/Getty Images)

A Canadian cat is being called a hero after it alerted its owner to a fire — while the family’s dog remained asleep throughout the harrowing incident. Portugal Cove resident Scott White says he was sound asleep at about 4:30 a.m. Monday when he woke up to something striking him in the face. “I woke up with a paw on my face,” White says. The paw belonged to his family’s cat, Joey. White got out of bed to investigate, and found his slow cooker had started a fire, filling the kitchen with thick smoke. Thanks to Joey’s quick action, he was able to get the fire under control. While the incident has resulted in the family becoming closer to Joey, White says it had the opposite effect on their relationship with their 10-month-old puppy, who slept through the blaze. “The dog was always in the window growling at people, so we thought he’d be a good watchdog,” White says. “I guess we found out the real hero is the cat.”

Sign me up for the WJBR email newsletter!

You love Mix 99.5 WJBR, so join the Insiders Club! Be the first to know about our awesome ticket giveaways, the latest updates with your favorite artists, and more delivered right to your inbox.

By clicking "Subscribe" I agree to the website's terms of Service and Privacy Policy. I understand I can unsubscribe at any time.