True American, The Drinking Game Based Off of TV Show New Girl
True American is a drinking game based on the one seen in the show New Girl that combines American history, Candy Land and a serious amount of beer. It involves turning your living room into one giant game board, and each player acts as their own game piece.
What You Will Need:
- You will need enough beer for however many players there are (this varies from group to group)
- A handle of the liquor of your choice
- At least 5 players (ages 21 or older)
- A large room with pillows, cushions, chairs, etc. scattered across the floor so you can navigate the room without touching the floor
- (Optional) A whiteboard explaining the rules in case you need clarification as you play
How to Play:
- Players take turns attempting to gain moves. With these moves, they navigate around several zones utilizing only tables, chairs, and cushions to get around. Why? The floor is lava! In the middle of the play zone, you have the castle, which is made up of a bottle of alcohol (whiskey) and an ungodly amount of beers. This is known as the king and his pawns. As you make your way through the game, you remove beers and drink them. Once all the beers are gone the first player to reach the King and take a swig wins! The game has been tweaked a bit for playability but don’t worry; it’s retained the New Girl feel!
- Pick Teams: You don’t get the privilege of shouting out your besties’ names in True American. Instead, hold up a random number of fingers to your forehead. Anyone with fewer fingers than you becomes your teammate. Or anyone with the same number becomes your teammate. Although you probably don’t need teammates anyway.
- Set up your castle: You want a single bottle of alcohol with four lines of beers radiating from the “King” forming an “X.” The amount of beers you choose is up to you and is typically related to the number of players in the game. These beer/pawn lines also coincide with the divisions between the zones which we’ll get into next.
- Understanding zones: There are four zones. Each zone has five spaces with the center space being the only one where players can grab pawns. That means the center space is closest to the castle, and the first and last space of the zone are furthest away.
- The game starts with a shotgun contest. The player who finishes their beer first wins. The winner shouts, “One, two three, JFK!” The other players yell “FDR,” before grabbing a pawn from the Castle and retreating to a space in one of the zones. The game goes clockwise. If it’s your turn, you can move once, but other players will need to win moves.
- To win moves:
- Forehead fingers: All players yell “One, two, three” and then hold their fingers up to their foreheads. Anyone with a number that no one else has wins and may move one spot.
- Quote competition: The player whose turn it is may speak a historical or pop culture quote. Those who chime in and complete it simultaneously may move two spots.
- Commonground: The player whose turn it is can say two people, places, or things. Those who respond with what they have in common can move three spaces.
- Note: You must always have a beer in your hand.
- Remember, to win the game be the first to drink from the King after all of the pawns have been removed.
- You lose if you are caught without a beer, an empty beer can, or step on the lava. Have no fear though! You can get back into the game by polishing off one beer and standing where the other players put you.
Here’s a video tutorial from New Girl’s youtube channel, good luck and remember to drink responsibly!
If you need more clarification, please click here.