Free airport wi-fi is a great perk for travelers but it can also be a fertile hunting ground for cyber-criminals. A few criminals have begun labeling their own copycat wi-fi networks as “free airport wi-fi” in order to get unsuspecting travelers to log on so they can hack their information. Here are a few things that you can do to make it more difficult for the criminals.
- #1 Create hard to guess passwords, and change them often.
- #2- Check to make sure that the websites you are using begin with an “https:” address marker and have a lock symbol to the left of them
- #3 Check for misspellings or poor grammar on the website. These are usually signs that it could be fake.
- #4 Consider using a VPN (virtual private network) to access your office computers.
- #5 Use your own hotspot. Using your own wi-fi cuts out the potential of strangers snooping in on your connection.