The State Office of Volunteerism and Delaware Department of Health and Social Services are collecting donated items now through the end of November to benefit “Stockings for Soldiers.” Stockings for Soldiers is an outreach program focused on military men and women serving overseas during the holidays. DHSS is collecting items such as travel sized toiletries, non-perishable food items, and DVDs. Financial costs to cover postage and letters of appreciation are also being accepted. The program was started by Judy Travis when her son was deployed to Iraq back in 2003. She was sending him goodies to help him through the holidays. Travis mentioned that he had some buddies so she reached out to her friends in the community to see if they could send some stockings as well. This year marks 16 years!
Collection centers are listed below:
Buildings on DHSS’ Herman Holloway Campus, 1901 N. DuPont Highway, New Castle (on U.S. 13 near I-295): Main Administration Building, Charles Debnam Building and Springer Building. Open 8 a.m.-4:30 p.m. Monday-Friday; collection runs through Nov. 28.
Public libraries in New Castle County (all through Nov. 28):
- Bear Library, 101 Governors Place, Bear (10 a.m.-9 p.m. Monday-Wednesday; 10 a.m.-5 p.m. Thursday and Saturday; 1-5 p.m. Sunday; closed Fridays)
- Hockessin Library, 1023 Valley Road, Hockessin (10 a.m.-9 p.m. Monday-Wednesday; 10 a.m.-5 p.m. Friday-Saturday; 1-5 p.m. Sunday; closed Thursdays)
- Newark Free Library, 750 Library Ave., Newark (10 a.m.-9 p.m. Monday-Wednesday, and Friday; 10 a.m.-5 p.m. Saturday; 1-5 p.m. Sunday; closed Thursdays)
And these additional locations through Nov. 11:
- Millville Town Hall, 36404 Road 351, Millville (9 a.m.-4 p.m. Monday-Friday)
- Georgetown Public Library, 123 W Pine St., Georgetown (10 a.m.-8 p.m. Monday-Thursday; 10 a.m.-5 p.m. Friday; 10 a.m.-2 p.m. Saturday)
- Milford Public Library, 11 SE Front St., Milford (9 a.m.-8 p.m. Monday-Friday, 9 a.m.-2 p.m. Saturday)
- Fabulous Salon, 900 Dupont Highway, Milford