LISTEN WEEKDAY MORNINGS AT 6:10, 7:10 AND 8:10 FOR FIVE THINGS YOU NEED TO KNOW
1. After a 48 day manhunt, Eric Frein, the 31-year-old suspect in the ambush killing of a Pennsylvania state trooper and the wounding of another, has been captured. He was found near an abandoned airplane hangar and quickly surrendered. Authorities put him in the handcuffs belonging to the man he allegedly killed, Corporal Bryon Dickson, and in the murdered trooper’s patrol car.
2. A pilot program at Gunning Bedford Middle School could spread across the state. Hand-held whiteboards, made of material similar to the armor plating in bulletproof vests and are light enough to be carried around and used in class every day, have arrived.The 18″ x 20″ boards can be wielded like a shield and are capable of stopping shots from handguns and shotguns.
3. Starbucks is planning to launch a food and beverage delivery service. The delivery service will be available to Starbucks loyalty program members as part of its new mobile order and pay app that will launch in Portland, Oregon, next month and nationwide next year.
4. Brittany Maynard, the 29-year-old woman with terminal cancer who made public plans to end her life and gained a following online through completing her “bucket list,” says she no longer plans to die Saturday. “I still feel good enough and I still have enough joy.” “It doesn’t seem like the right time right now.” Maynard was diagnosed with a stage 4 malignant brain tumor in April.
5. The New Orleans Saints defeated the Carolina Panthers 28-10 last night in Charlotte to end a seven-game losing streak on the road.